I haven't written in a while, I've been focusing on training for my half marathon and I've been concentrating more on what I'm eating and the nutritonal content of it, more than creativity of it. Boring, I know, but the perils of running 25 or more miles a week includes the added chore of ensuring you're eating enough of all the nutrients your body needs. It's a job and a half to get all the ratios correct and I know that in time it will all come together better. The plus side? I do feel a lot better, and I seem to have all the energy I need for whatever the day or workout will bring.
Last night I made an excellent protein rich vegan AND gluten free dinner... It was so tasty! And while the recipe says four servings, my husband and I were very hungry campers so we ate the whole thing ;)
Veggie and Lentil Stuffed Curried Eggplant
Makes 4 servings
- 2 large eggplants, halved
- ½ Cauliflower, chopped
- 2 cups of Mushrooms, chopped
- 5-7 cloves of garlic, rough chopped
- 1 cup of chopped spinach
- 1 can of no salt added Roasted tomatoes
- ½ cup of dried lentils, cooked
- 1 cup of brown rice, or couscous
- 2tbsp of Curry Powder
- 1tsp of ginger
- 1tsp of chili powder
- ½ tsp of cumin
- ½ tsp of turmeric
- Chopped unsalted roasted peanuts (if desired)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Olive oil
1. Preheat oven to 425º.
2. In a roasted pan with parchment paper, lightly spray or coat olive oil on the cut half of the eggplant. Place eggplant cut side down, and lightly coat outside of skin and salt. Place in oven for 30 min.
3. Meanwhile, combine 1tbsp of olive oil, garlic, mushrooms, cauliflower, and cook over med-high heat until slightly softened and browned.
4. Add curry powder, chili, cumin, ginger, turmeric and mix well with veggies, until aromatic.
5. Add lentils, can of tomatoes and bring to a simmer.
6. Remove Eggplant from oven, and using a spoon scoop out flesh, and set aside.
7. Removed flesh can be cut into pieces and added to the tomato veggie mix.
8. Stir rice into the veggie mix until well mixed.
9. Using a spoon, fill each of the eggplant shells with veggie mix, and top with chopped spinach, and peanuts if using.
10. Place eggplant back into the oven for 10 minutes at 450º
11. Serve with non-fat Greek yogurt on top and crushed red pepper on the side.